With Bethany Presbyterian, we will meet from 6:30-8pm at the Urban Grace chapel on Wednesdays, October 3, 10, 17, 24.
Over the next four weeks we will:
• Learn basic concepts and how to use vocabulary including: transgender, gender non-conforming, cis-gender, and gender non-binary.
• Take a look at the biblical texts about sexuality that have been harmful to many people, explore biblical passages that display a more expansive view of gender, and find hope in our scriptures that call us to justice and embrace those whom society has marginalized.
• Hear stories from a panel of transgender and gender non-conforming Christians about their gender identity and their experience in and out of the church.
• Explore the work of queer theology and how gender and sexuality are not only justice issues, but also offer profound insights that inspire us and deepen our connection to the Divine; led by Rev. Manny Santiago, queer theologian, and director of the Rainbow Center.
• Hear from parents of children who are transgender or gender non-conforming and learn about how to raise children who are comfortable in a society with expanding understandings of gender and sexuality.
Our schedule will be:
October 3 – Bible: Ben Robinson & Sarah Wiles guide us through scriptures on sexuality and gender.
October 10 – Panel: Trans & Gender non-conforming stories w/ teaching by Jo Bauer.
October 17 – Queer Spirituality & Theology: Rev. Manny Santiago (Rainbow Center ED).
October 24 – Panel: Hear from parents of children who are transgender or gender non-conforming and learn about how to raise children who are comfortable in a society with expanding understandings of gender and sexuality.